Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show: What About It?

The title of this post says it all, Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show: What About It? If it wasn't for the controversy it was stirring up, I don't know. The performance as a whole wasn't memorable, but the performers did a pretty good job. But it was crammed with all sorts of political brainwashing. To me, I react by saying, "What else is new?" If you haven't noticed yet, everything is political brainwashing anymore. Nonetheless, let's do a quick overview of the show one piece at a time.

The scenery.

It was very colorful. Very colorful. Clearly someone...Coldplay...wanted an LGBT themed Halftime Show. But the scenery, despite the vibrant colors, will go down as very not memorable.

Music

I thought that the music was overall pretty good, but if you are performing a Super Bowl Halftime show, you should be aiming higher than pretty good. I was not familiar with most of the music, so I was glad to hear them open with a good song that I happen to be familiar with.

As for Beyonce, I don't possess the cultural understanding to get all of the references in her music, but maybe she could have picked an entrance song a little less racially charged. Because even if you do not understand everything else she is singing about, certain words/lyrics definitely stuck out and did not leave me with the impression that I was welcome to view this Halftime Show.

Talent

A few years ago, Beyonce lit the stage up in one of the most spectacular Halftime Shows ever. This year I did not feel quite as impressed by her performance. She sang well and still has some moves (despite almost falling, but who cares), but to me she came across too militant and was overshadowed by everyone else on the stage.

Bruno Mars on the other hand, holy moly that guy is talented. I can't remember when his first appearance at the Super Bowl was, but I was impressed by that one as well. Maybe I don't watch enough music videos (or listen to enough mainstream music) but this guy's dance skills and voice are some of the best I have ever seen.

Politically

The opening and closing were very much in your face. They wanted you to know from the get go that this is a pro LGBT performance. They changed things up in the middle, but then they went all out with rainbow flags, banners, clothing, and a huge rainbow sign supported by the audience that said "believe in love" (What does that even mean? Like, believe that love exists? If that's all, I'm sold, but something tells me that was not the message) at the end. It's sad that rainbow decor is supposed to represent the LGBT community because even though it was not a memorable theme, it was still pretty to look at.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't there some sort of Supreme Court decision last year regarding gay marriage? That being said, what was the meaning of this in your face display of LGBT pride? I guess I'm so used to stuff being shoved in my face by the mainstream anymore that it neither surprised nor angered me. Okay, maybe it surprised me in that I felt that they are behind the times if they are still fighting for gay rights, but after the past 3 years its been like, "Oh, whaddaya know? Another gay pride display. I wonder what else is on. [Click].". How much further can it go? The only solution anymore is to just not watch, but every now and then they hit a home run (Black Eyed Peas were really good, Destiny's Child, U2, and Katy Perry to name a few of the performances I really enjoyed in years past).

Now, Beyonce. I had to do a little research on because I have heard that her performance was Black Panther themed. I know who the Black Panthers are but I wasn't sure exactly how she made that clear. Apparently it had a lot more to do with her attire and that of her supporting dancers. In bad taste? Let's just put it this way: I don't expect Super Bowl 51 to feature Taylor Swift with an entourage clad in white hoods...just saying. Beyonce removed any doubt of her statement by signaling with the Black Power salute. It was not as bad as I thought it would be granted what I heard about it, though.

My complaint is that we should be over this sort of childishness by now. Have we not had a black President in the White House for the past 7 years? Did we not have a Supreme Court decision that ruled it unconstitutional to not allow gay couples to get married? Weren't the 60's...back in the 60's?

You know what? I do believe in love. What I saw at the Super Bowl Halftime Show had nothing to do with love. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps not record of wrongs. What I saw on display, sure they had smiles on their faces, but what prompted them to take upon the themes that they did? Pride, anger, rudeness, and an inability to let go of the past. If they had the slightest bit of an idea of what love truly is, we wouldn't be trying to dissect what they were trying to get across. We would said something more like, "Wow, those guys are good."

I'm not angry about what happened. Like I said, I'm used to this sort of stuff now. In fact, the way they went about this was far more mild than what you would get in an awards show. It just so happens that it does not belong in a place where they truly are not the main attraction. The Halftime Show is supposed to give fans time to go to the bathroom and get something to eat or drink. And if they happen to remain seated instead of battling the rush of traffic, they should be rewarded with the levity provided by a first class performance with you in mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment