Sunday, June 18, 2017

What Love is Not

"If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing." ~ 1 Corinthians 13:1-3

What follows this statement in verses 4-7 is a description of what love is. What I am about to write is in no way disregarding the authors words following what I have cited above. Last night, as I worked at my new job, I was reflecting on what loving God means. Jesus puts it very clear in the Gospel of John, "If you love me, keep my commands...Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. (14:15 & 21). There is no meaningful love for God outside of obedience.

We fool ourselves by substituting the love God commands us toward with the love that the world promotes. The world does not know love. Worldly love is more like well wishing or high thoughts towards someone. It is manifest in words, at best, but more likely just in our thoughts and attitudes towards people. This is not bad, but it is hardly the type of love that God has called us towards.

As stated in the verse above, we also fool ourselves by thinking that exercising spiritual gifts is how we love God. It uses several examples to show people that they need to be careful not to confuse spiritual power with love for God. It mentions tongues, prophecy, miracles, giving, and suffering as false examples of the love of God.

Some people in the church hold their ability to perform miracles in high regard. However, performing miracles does not necessarily even validate genuine faith. There will be people that perform miracles, and Jesus will say to them "Get away from me you evil doer. I never knew you." It is not the miracle, it is the faith in Jesus Christ that saves us.

Love is not measured by our positive thoughts towards someone, and it is not measured by our ability to perform miracles. Love is measured by our obedience towards God.

No comments:

Post a Comment